Heart of America Carnival Glass Association
The HOACGA 2017 convention is being held at the Airport Embassy Suites Hotel, Kansas City, MO. (same hotel every year) The room rate is $124/day (plus tax). The reservation deadline is April 3, 2017. For reservations call 816-891-7788 (Group code CAR).
Internet is included in the room rate, Pet fees are waived, Table rental is $22/stay.
- Breakfast and Managers Special – Happy hour is included as part of the room rate. This is a special opportunity to visit with old friends and to meet new collectors that will become friends.
- Special Raffle: We are offering a chance to win a 3-night stay (Embassy Suites Airport Hotel) that can be redeemed at either the 2017 or 2018 conventions (or a combination of them). Raffle chances are $10 each or 3 for $25 (no cash value). Tickets must be purchased at the registration desk at the convention or if your registration is sent via mail to the secretary (cannot be purchased with an online registration).
- Rooms: All rooms are two room suites with a small refrigerator, a window for showing and viewing your glass from the outside. Rooms are available with King or 2 Queen beds.
- Room Displays: You are encouraged to bring and set up a Room Display (as well as any glass that you wish to sell). Awards will be given for the best display in the following categories: Same Pattern, Same Color, Same Shape, Same Maker, and Rarity. An award will also be given for the ‘Best Overall’ display as judged by a panel of judges (members).
Schedule of events:
Thursday, April 27, 2017
- Gary Lickver will present an educational program on ‘Marigold – Its many Different Color Variations’. Gary ‘The Road Warrior’ has probably seen and handled as much or more carnival glass than any other collector (or even most auctioneers). He travels the United States from the East coast to the west coast (normally 3 times each year) attending conventions and setting up at antique shows. This will be an opportunity to see some very good glass and acquaint you with the many variations in the color ‘Marigold’ iridescence. We always gain some more information from talks that are presented by our members.
- 9pm – Contemporary carnival glass auction. After the educational presentation by Gary, cake and coffee will be served and about 60 pieces of contemporary carnival glass will be auctioned. A complete listing will be available at the convention.
Friday, April 28, 2017
- Special Display. The display is presented for the educational benefit of the Carnival Glass collector. This year theme is for members to bring there favorite pieces of carnival glass for everyone to enjoy. The glass will be on display Thursday afternoon thru Friday until 3:30pm. The items will be presented in a talk at 10:30am Friday morning.
- John & Lucile Britt Award: The 2016 award will be presented to the late Karen Engel, a long time member of HOACGA. Karen was an active collector for more than 30 years. She and Doug started their collecting as members of the Pacific Northwest Carnival Glass Club (PNWCGC). Karen was their first president and also serviced as the treasurer of HOACGA. Much of her service to the Carnival Glass clubs has been to those in the California and Oregon area. They sold their collection at one time in order to buy a historical home. Since then they assembled another outstanding collection.
- Special Recognition Award: A special award will be presented to a deserving collector, name to be announced at the time of the Friday Britt Award Luncheon.
- Annual Business Meeting: The annual business meeting will be held Friday at 2pm (or immediately following the Britt Award Luncheon). Presentation and discussion of various club activities will ensue. Election of officers include President, Secretary and Historical Editor.
- Hospitality room(s) will be provided on Friday evening after the auction preview.
Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Auction: Seeck Auctions will conduct the auction of the Christina Katsikas collection and Pattie Harris estate.
- Viewing of the glass will be Friday evening and Saturday morning.
- Banquet: The annual banquet will be held Saturday evening with Bob Grissom as the speaker. Bob is the the President of HOACGA, he has seen and held as much carnival glass as anyone in the world. This talk will be something that you won’t want to miss. Room display winners will be announced, special whimseys will be auctioned. Some members will be awarded $50 if they can provide an answer to their selected question (this is a fun and entertaining event ).