The HOACGA 2018 convention was held at the Airport Embassy Suites Hotel, Kansas City, MO. (same hotel every year) The room rate is $127/day (plus tax). The reservation deadline is April 3, 2017. For reservations call 816-891-7788 ask for booking code CNG.
Reservations must be canceled 24 hours in advance, Internet is included in the room rate, Pet fees are waived, Table rental is $22/stay. (Note: The hotel has instituted a parking fee, however this charge will not apply to the HOACGA members or others staying at the hotel while attending the convention.)
- Breakfast and Managers Special – Happy hour is included as part of the room rate. This is a special opportunity to visit with old friends and to meet new collectors that will become friends.
- Special Raffle: This year we are offering a chance to win possibly as much as $500. Raffle chances are $10 each. The winner will be announced at the beginning of the auction Saturday morning.
- Rooms: All rooms are two room suites with a small refrigerator, a window for showing and viewing your glass from the outside. Rooms are available with King or 2 Queen beds.
- Room Displays: You are encouraged to bring and set up a Room Display (as well as any glass that you wish to sell). Awards will be given for the best display in the following categories: Same Pattern, Same Color, Same Shape, Same Maker, and Rarity. An award will also be given for the ‘Best Overall’ display as judged by a panel of judges (members).
Schedule of events:
Wednesday, April 25, 2018
- 6:00pm – Hospitality will serve Subway Sandwiches for all to enjoy.
Thursday, April 26, 2018
- 7:30pm – Educational program on ‘The Brocades – Iridized and Beautiful, but not Classic Carnival Glass’ with Steve and Mary Gregg. Steve and Mary have been collecting carnival glass for 25 years, and are going to teach us about his part of carnival glass collecting that doesn’t get the attention that it deserves. We always gain some more information from talks that are presented by our members.
- 9pm – Contemporary carnival glass auction. After the educational presentation cake and coffee will be served and about 60 pieces of contemporary carnival glass will be auctioned. A complete listing will be available at the convention.
Friday, April 27, 2018
- Special Display. The display is presented for the educational benefit of the Carnival Glass collector. This year’s theme is Fenton’s Persian Medallion pattern. There are many pieces with different variations, colors, shapes and sizes in this pattern. The glass will be on display Thursday afternoon thru Friday until 3:30pm. The items will be presented in a talk at 10:30am Friday morning.
- John & Lucile Britt Award: The 2018 award will be presented to Gary Lickver, whose name first appeared in the 1991 HOACGA roster. Gary is an avid Carnival Glass collector and his occupation is an Antique Dealer. He has had an opportunity to see and own many more carnival glass pieces than most collectors. Gray has been asked to be a speaker at all of the club conventions, not only because of his knowledge but he is always willing to share his vast knowledge of Carnival Glass. His willingness to share is appreciated.
- Special Recognition Award: A special award will be presented to a deserving collector, name to be announced at the time of the Friday Britt Award Luncheon.
- Annual Business Meeting: The annual business meeting will be held Friday at 2pm (or immediately following the Britt Award Luncheon). Presentation and discussion of various club activities will ensue. Election of officers will be conducted.
- Hospitality room(s) will be provided on Friday evening after the auction preview (approximately 8pm).
Saturday, April 28, 2018
- Auction: Seeck Auctions will be selling the Carlton and Jane Tarkington collection – auction starts at 9:30am.
- Viewing of the glass will be Friday evening and Saturday morning.
- Banquet: The annual banquet will be held Saturday evening with Christina Katsikas as the speaker. This is her first talk as a Banquet speaker, and we are looking forward to an informative Carnival Glass talk. Room display winners will be announced, special whimseys will be auctioned.